It has been a while, I know.. but I have a delight that will make up for the lost time! This moist, chocolate cake with sweet potato is so good. The texture is unlike any other gluten free cake I have baked – a combination of steamed sweet potato, yoghurt and melted dark chocolate all come together in a harmony of perfection!
100g of good quality dark chocolate (I used 85%)
115g of unsalted butter, cubed
3 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup of honey or maple syrup
1/3 cup yoghurt
A teaspoon of vanilla powder
3/4 cup mashed steamed sweet potato
3/4 cup of almond flour
1/2 cup of buckwheat flour
A handful of pumpkin seeds
A pinch of salt, to taste
(recipe adapted from David Lebovitz)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Butter a 20cm cake pan and line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- Over a bain-marie, melt the butter and chocolate together and then let cool slightly.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, honey and yoghurt. Add vanilla, salt and the sweet potato.
- Add the above mixture to the melted chocolate and butter.
- Add almond and buckwheat flour to the mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Whisk egg whites in to soft peaks and fold in to chocolate mixture until just combined.
- Pour batter in to cake pan, level the top and sprinkle some pumpkin seeds and bake for 25 – 35 minutes until cake is set but the centre is still soft. Let cool and then remove from pan and serve!